My sincere apologies to Issac Asimov.
- Software is automation. Data warehouses are software. Your data warehouse should be a robot, programmed and tuned to provide the right data to the right people at the right time, while constantly checking itself for errors and inconsistencies.
- Model your business, not your source systems. Your competitive advantage is your unique perspective of your market. Build that into your data models.
- Never scale your team to keep up with the day-to-day, you should only grow your team because you have harder engineering problems to solve.
- “Big data is what happened when the cost of storing information became less than the cost of making the decision to throw it away.” (George Dyson via Tim O’Reilly)
- As far as your business is concerned, the reports are the warehouse. Everything between the report and the source systems is overhead.